Monday, June 20, 2011

Look At This: The Ballerina Project

I wanted to be a ballerina when I was a little girl. And then again when I was thirteen. And then again when I was 20. And now. They are so graceful and feminine and strong. Oh and they get to wear those amazing tutus... I think with Black Swan came a bit of a rebirth of the ballerina fascination for me, and probably for a lot of people. This brings me to today's look-see: the Ballerina Project. The website for this doesn't give a lot of information, simply that it "grew from the idea of New York City as a magnet for creativity; each photograph is a collaborative work of dance, fashion design and photography played out against the city's landscape." Lucky for this guy (I think he's a man named Dane) he had a whole crop of gorgeous ballerinas to photograph in one of the most photographable cities in the world. And lucky for us he's sharing (and you can buy these lovely images if you're so inclined).
From the Ballerina Project
From the Ballerina Project
I was just swapping "ballet as a child" stories with a friend of mine today—I'd love to hear yours! P.S. Mine goes a little something like this: I was four, I managed to put my hands over my head during the recital, I then proceeded to sit down on the stage and refuse to get up. And that was the end of my ballet career. We did get a photograph of me in my pink tutu though, so it was probably all worth it. My mother (who bought the tutu and paid for the "lessons") may disagree!
(images from the project site and thanks to the diversion project for the introduction)

2 comments:

  1. I did ballet for a few years. My ballet teacher suggested to my mother that I might be better at swimming on account of my broad shoulders... I think that was code for "your daughter is crap. She is so inflexible she can't even point her toe." On a brighter note, I did get to wear an orange and yellow tutu and I just LOVED my transparent black ballerina practise skirt. And it's true, I was a much better swimmer. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ballet! I would go and see "the Nutcracker" every year. I remember one year we sat in the front of a section, so I had a bar in front of me. I took off my moon boots, and pretended I was in it! I did take ballet in high school, but it was slightly embarrassing as all the girls in my class had been dancing since age 3, and let's just say, you could tell I had not!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...