Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lady Sings the Blues

On my way into work yesterday morning I heard a great interview with Peter Wolf on NPR. He was the lead singer of the J. Geils Band for nearly a decade and has since had a successful solo career. To be honest, I wasn't super familiar with him but I was so intrigued by his stories. I love to hear musicians talk about their travels and the people they've met and their crazy, mixed-up backgrounds. It's as if they've lived three or four times over. That's one thing I love about NPR, their storytelling is so vivid that I feel like these memories are my own.
I particularly loved Peter's stories about his meeting Muddy Waters at a coffee shop in Boston. He was only 17 and yet somehow managed to not only hang out with the band one random afternoon but magically his apartment turned into a hang-out for not only Muddy Waters and the band but John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf. I can't even imagine how amazing that was! His description of how impeccably dressed these men were really got me thinking about that time and those beautiful men and women. Some of these images are from before Peter's time, but they are all of great Blues musicians.
Great men of the Blues
Lady Sings the Blues
More Great Blues Men
Clockwise from top, far right: Howlin' Wolf, T-Bone Walker, Victoria Spivey, Lead Belly, John Lee Hooker, Big Joe Turner, Buddy Guy, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles and BB King. Aren't they beautiful? Really take your time and look at these talents - their expressions and personal style and environments are so inspiring to me.

Want to get that bluesy sensibility for yourself? Here's some help:
For gentlemen:
Blues: Men
(01): Plaid Blazer from Marc Jacobs (02): Honeycomb flask (03): Houndstooth patterned guitar strap (04): A nice Cuban cigar (05): Saddle Shoes from JCrew (06): Gorgeous guitar

For ladies:
Blues: women
(01): Sophisticated sheath from Donna Karen (02): Vintage Hat (03): Sweet pink Trumpet (04): Steel Grey Pumps with Charming Bows (05): Faux-Fur Collared Coat (06): Flower Hair Pins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...